Oh, Brett Ratner. Attached to so many projects, yet so few that actually go anywhere. Before we get into today’s news, let’s give the Rat Man a visit from the Ghost of Variety Articles Past, shall we?
- Ratner to exec produce an “edgy Snow White.”
- Ratner to direct a segment in a sketch movie in which Hugh Jackman will play a guy with balls on his chin.
- The Rat Man to produce a reboot of House Party.
- Attached to direct what was once a “black Ocean’s 11” but now has Noah Baumbach writing a script for Ben Stiller.
- Producer for a live-action Hong Kong Phooey.
- Was once attached to direct Conan the Barbarian remake.
- Producing one of two competing John Delorean biopic projects
- Negotiating to direct a Milli Vanilli biopic
- Attached to direct Youngblood, based on the comic book
- Talking about directing a remake of Beverly Hills Cop
- Attached to direct Gods of War
And that’s barely going back two years. But that’s not today’s story. Tell us, Variety, where did Brett Ratner’s wheel of dead-end turds land today?
Ratner’s producing “The Unknowns,” based on the comic created by Mark A. Altman (“DOA: Dead Or Alive”), Steve Kriozere (“NCIS”) and model/actress Monica Olsen.
Story centers around Alexis Davenport, who while living a seemingly ordinary life discovers she was actually once the highly skilled and deadly leader of a mysterious team called The Unknowns and must learn the secret of why her memories were erased and by who.
“We think ‘The Unknowns’ will be a great new comic book/action franchise,” said Ratner, who’s in preproduction as a producer on New Line’s “Horrible Bosses.”
An ordinary person who finds out she used to be a spy? You’re right, Brett Ratner, that is new. But are you sure the world is ready for an original story such as this? Maybe she could also be a tough kid from the inner city who succeeds against all odds.
I want more like this!
Follow Film Drunk on Facebook and get the latest movie news and humor before everyone else.